21 June 2011

Wonder Whose BRIGHT Idea The LED Lamp Was?

(As if I didn’t know.) 



We, as Americans, have to come to accept new Federal regulations as something we just have to live with. I think that is changing now. Every time I ask someone if they realized that we would no longer be able to buy our regular cheap light bulbs after December, they would be astonished and upset. Yeah, I know it’s a small thing, but it illustrates the government’s control over the people. They say we can’t have cheap light bulbs. They say we must use the more energy efficient ones (LED bulbs), even though they are a health hazard if broken, and much more expensive.
Thankfully, our lawmakers in Texas are doing something about it.
State lawmakers have passed a bill that allows Texans to skirt federal efforts to promote more efficient light bulbs, which ultimately pushes the swirled, compact fluorescent bulbs over the 100-watt incandescent bulbs many grew up with.
The measure, sent to Gov. Rick Perry for consideration, lets any incandescent light bulb manufactured in Texas – and sold in that state – avoid the authority of the federal government or the repeal of the 2007 energy independence act that starts phasing out some incandescent light bulbs next year. 
“Let there be light,” state Rep. George Lavender, R-Texarkana, wrote on Facebook after the bill passed. “It will allow the continued manufacture and sale of incandescent light bulbs in Texas, even after the federal ban goes into effect. … It’s a good day for Texas.”
In my 67 years, I can count on two hands (and have a couple of fingers left over) the number of regular light bulbs that didn’t light up when first turned on or had a life of one week to two months when they were used. On the other hand (no pun intended,) I’ve bought six of the LED bulbs in the past year. Of those six, two wouldn’t even come on and the two had a life of one week to one month. That AIN’T a very good track record... especially at the price they gouge you for. I decided to let someone else be “green” and I went back to the good ol’ bulbs that LIT UP and stayed LIT UP. 


To add insult to injury,
The LED bulbs that are bright enough to replace the 100 watt light bulbs are projected to cost about $50 each, six times a regular light bulb. Proponents say that you will save more money though, through energy savings. I’m just not buying that with own my experience.
Me neither, Kathleen.

4 comments:

  1. As far as illumination is concerned you may just as well go back to candles! Been there, done that-plan to stockpile! How much energy will the little greenies waste disposing of these mercury laden, glass, screw worms? What % of their production takes place in America? For that matter, what ever happened to America?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to ask: Is he using Certified Obamanure?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ JonBerg: I don't know if his Obamanure is certified, but I know HE'S a CERTIFIED IDIOT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In answer:

    I just found out that it is some Republican from the State of Michigan that, at least, sponsored this. I think that he is now ready to reverse his error!

    ReplyDelete